In an unstoppable mobilization of solidarity, 414 supporters from around the world joined this Campaign and raised $21,720 in 14 days! When we launched the Campaign, we didn’t think we could raise more than $20,000. But the truth is that we need to raise double that to get Mumia the full medical care and legal assistance that he urgently needs. Please join us to defend Mumia’s life by helping his Medical and Legal fund reach $40,000, now!
Mumia is in a Medical Crisis
We need your help to ensure he receives immediate medical care.
What Mumia Urgently Needs
We need to raise $40,000 immediately to:
- Pay for lifesaving medical care from Mumia’s doctors who he wishes to consult with
- Increase our legal and medical campaign to ensure Mumia and his family will be given all new information on Mumia’s condition
- Obtain Mumia’s medical records for review (his records cost $1.50/page)
- Cover costs for Mumia’s family, friends and core organizers as they travel to the Medical Center in Pottsville, PA and the prison in Frackville, PA
- Cover legal fees for Mumia’s attorney
Please give $10, $25, $100 or even $1,000 now.
Worldwide organizing successfully halted Mumia’s death row execution in 1995. Last October when Pennsylvania legislature passed SB 508 – the « Mumia Gag Law » – we vigorously fought for the right for prisoners to speak, and we presented our final arguments in court on March 30th- the same day Mumia fell dangerously ill. What we are seeing now, as Pam Africa said, is a « clear cut example of an attempted execution through medical neglect. »
If you care about Mumia and the right to medical dignity for prisoners, please contribute now and defend Mumia’s right to live, his family’s right to visit and view his medical records, and his doctors’ rights to provide proper and immediate treatment.
Once You’ve Donated, Please Take Action:
- Demand Mumia’s immediate family can see him more than once per person per week by calling PA Department of Corrections John Wetzel (717-728-4109) and SCI Mahanoy (570-773-2158).
- Share this campaign and encourage all of your networks- family, friends, comrades and coworkers to contribute and share
- Stay updated on Mumia’s condition by checking back here and on Prison Radio’s Facebook and Twitter pages.
We’re asking you to contribute $100 or even $50 to fight for Mumia’s life, well-being and freedom- together. Please give now.
Thank you for being determined to defend Mumia’s life with us,
Wadiya Jamal, Mumia’s wife
Pam Africa, International Concerned Friends & Family of Mumia Abu-Jamal
Keith Cook, Mumia’s oldest brother
Bret Grote, Mumia’s Attorney (Abolitionist Law Center)
Noelle Hanrahan, Prison Radio
Suzanne Ross, NY Campaign to Bring Mumia Home
http://democracynow.org – Imprisoned journalist and former Black Panther Mumia Abu-Jamal has been taken to the Intensive Care Unit of Schuylkill Medical Center in Pottsville, Pennsylvania, after he was removed from prison for a medical emergency without any notification to his family, friends or lawyers. Prison officials told his supporters he is in diabetic shock. We get an update from Abu-Jamal’s longtime friend, Johanna Fernández who first discovered he was in the hospital Monday morning when she went to visit him in prison and was told he had been taken to the intensive care unit. Fernández is a history professor at Baruch College-CUNY, and one of the coordinators of the Campaign to Bring Mumia Home.
Listen to all Democracy Now! interviews with Mumia Abu-Jamal over the years in our online archive:
Democracy Now!, is an independent global news hour that airs weekdays on 1,300+ TV and radio stations Monday through Friday. Watch our livestream 8-9am ET: http://democracynow.org
Please consider supporting independent media by making a donation to Democracy Now! today: http://democracynow.org/donate